(Reading) Option Kings

I found three units or stories that drew me in. The concepts are interesting, and to be quite honest, that is what makes a good story, a compelling narrative to me.

So, I was originally drawn to this story because, hey, it's a story about fear so that must be creepy. And we have already established I like creepy. But this story took me in another direction. The main character is trying to find fear; he can't experience it. He goes around trying to find fear, with different people trying to lead him to fear. Not to mention the supernatural elements trying to frighten him. I wonder what it would be like from their point of view. "Well, I appeared as a floating hand in a graveyard. And what did I get? A literal slap on the wrist! Not even a jump scare! It's your turn Bob." (why did I just name this character who was a woman in the story Bob? I don't know, it was the first thing that popped into my mind). I might want to explore this more later.

(illustration by John Tenniel)

The unit on Alice's Looking-Glass is compelling, because I have read Alice in Wonderland and had to memorize Jabberwocky in my middle school drama class. It was strange, imagine a bunch of eighth graders coming up with dramatic interpretations of a poem that deals with a fictional creature with "eyes aflame" and a "vorpal blade" that goes "snicker-snack" and the main character "galumphing" back with its head. Yes, I still remember it, and yes, I would finally like the context for it. Although knowing Carrol, it still won't make a lot of sense.

Now, Russian folklore also sounds promising, especially to a person who loves the myths and folklore of vampires. I did go to Bran Castle in Transylvania on Halloween a few years back. By the way- epic, love Romania, will go again. So, vampires and the undead really draw me in. And to look at the source material (kind of) for Bram Stoker would be cool. Again, I am the person who read Dracula unabridged in eighth grade, which is a grade that has had a surprising amount of impact on both this post and my life. Weird.


Authors Note: This is a reference to Auction Kings, the Discovery Channel show about an auction house from 2010-2013. Why did I watch this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me

Consumed by Fire: Story Week 10